Skip to content

2015 Peterson GCM Blend, Bradford Mountain Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley

Tasting Notes

Fruit forward and delicious, GCM delivers exactly what is expected of a Rhone varietal blend. A light spicy essence weaves through a nose of fresh strawberry and red raspberry. The palate repeats the delicate spice notes throughout the luscious layers of cherry, raspberry, dried strawberry and plum. As the spices add depth in the finish, an appealing touch of rhubarb appears with the lingering flavors.

Modeled after blends from the Southern regions of France but born of fruit hailing from the Bradford Mountain Vineyard. The Grenache from the mountain produces a high quality wine with all the classic characteristics of great Grenache—soft, luscious fruit, pepper and licorice spice, and some of the garriguey flavors, with the essence of minerality from the site coming through. Building from the core of plush, forward fruit Grenache (54%), there is added spice and depth with Carignane (26%) complexity and tannin from Mourvèdre (13%) and for rich layered structure, Petite Sirah (7%).

Comments

• Dare2DivvyDare2Divvy 54 Points
    edited July 2021

Zero Manipulation

Who hasn’t heard the saying, “great wines come from great grapes?” And yet, winemakers have for centuries manipulated the wine making process to unfetter themselves from the dictates of the fruit and shape their wines to characteristics they desire.

What began as a T-shirt slogan for the Peterson Family Winery - Zero Manipulation - not only defines the family approach to wine making, but also raises an interesting question for wine lovers.

For the Peterson’s, the concept means allowing the terroir to be the dominant influence in the outcome of the wine making process. Quick to point out that it’s a philosophy, not a religion, the family believes that from vineyard to glass their goal is to ensure that what comes through in the wine is not overly influenced by the winemaker’s actions.

As winemaker Jamie Peterson explained, they avoid starting with a preconceived notion of what the wine should taste like, which can lead to the winemaker taking steps to achieve that taste profile. He says you need to be ok with the fact that every vintage will be slightly different, and that these small production wines will be unique and beautiful in their own way.

Where do you fall on the question of manipulation in wine making?

Purist? Go for the taste with any tools you have? Or somewhere in between?

SFwiner,TerryWCC
  • SFwinerSFwiner 30 Points

Just like I enjoy a well written menu where the dish may be elaborate or simply prepared, I like it when the winemakers share what they are doing with the wine, pre and post fermentation, how it's aged, etc.. It gives me a better sense for what's in the bottle, and makes me more willing to take the leap to experience the wine as the winemaker is presenting it.

Dare2Divvy,TerryWCC
  • Dare2DivvyDare2Divvy 54 Points
    edited July 2021

Hi Divvy-Uppers.

We had some signature delays on the PrevViews so I went into the warehouse to snag a bottle and remind myself about the Peterson GCM blend. Taking one for the team, you know. No sacrifice too great for the Divvy-Up community.

By the way, if someone's shipment is short a bottle I swear it wasn't me...

I love these wines with unique blends. So I took the wine outside where I could enjoy it - a warehouse just doesn't do tasting right. It was an awesome way to wind down the day. Took some bottle shots for Insta and really enjoyed this GCM.

This 2015 was released last year after 22 months in French oak and some time in bottle. That's the Peterson attention (is the word obsession too strong?) to the individual wine's character coming through.

The color was a really pretty ruby with medium intensity, and the appearance suggested the same in body. Perfect, cause I'm really enjoying these light and medium reds this summer.

The first thing that jumped out at me as I raised the glass was that bright raspberry they talk about. Like really bright. Like an explosion of raspberry all around you - without the mess. If you've never felt like you actually got raspberry in a wine aroma, try this GCM. Then some sweetness too, which is how strawberry gets in the mix. But it's a bright fruit nose, not overly sweet. And there are herbal notes in the background along with pepper spice.

With 40% new French oak and 22 months in barrels I expected a solid whack with the oak, but not so. I got some cedar and hint's of vanilla. True to their promise, the Petersons have maintained a light touch.

On the palate, it's nicely layered. Bright, bright fruit on a soft entry like you'd expect from a Grenache, then - BAM - that spice and pepper show up! And darn if they aren't right about the rhubarb on the finish. You know, I read the descriptions and sometimes I wonder, but rhubarb - yep.

The acidity is what keeps this fruit bright, and it made me crave a margherita pizza. Actually, I went out and got one - I'm weak. But I can say that they were yummy together, so it's all research, right?

There is some firmness in this wine, but tannin is pretty fine grained. Between the bright fruit, lively acidity and tannin, this wine will keep your attention. I felt it was just right for a summer red, and it was good with food. The Carignane adds a nice twist to the blend, and for me, it makes it seem less full bodied than most Rhone blends with Syrah even though it's a 14.4 ABV.

I'm happy to answer any question, but hurry, the bottle is not likely to last that long!

TerryWCC
  • edited July 2021

Well that's not a good start for me is it. cant even paste a picture.... I received a bottle of this

OK I give up with pics now.... I let it rest on side until Sunday evening. (i tried to add 2)

Pop and pour - cork came out no issues and not stained much at all (yes I have pics no they wont load)

Color - very dark opaque even no real visible legs, but appearance is not "thin"

Smell - I was expecting alcohol and did not get it. Fruit right off the bat. Dont get me wrong I dont mean like a berry pie type of fruit but a subtle wine fruit. both red and black fruit. was not expecting this with the color.

Taste - of subtle fruit still this is by no means jam like dont get me wrong here but I am not getting anything resembling leather, soil (almost mushrom like), tobacco as I kind of expected with this blend (perhaps VERY incorrectly)

Finish - no weird aftertaste the taste lingers but is not overwhelming at all

My initial impression - this is really actually VERY good. smooth nothing unpleasant on any level right out of the bottle. its not overly complex but I'll go with that might be lack of age, It is just very nice drinking

OK now shame on me for work consuming me as I didn't remember to check site or that for 2 days I had stopped up bottle on counter (i work full time and have 3 part time jobs in summer - damn you wine this is so i can afford you)

summary of day2 (errr 2 days later) O M G its still the same. (yay stopper) it really could not have mellowed as it already was. I wan to read the description but I am going to wait (it's killing me now) I still taste subtle fruuits. sorry I can not pick them specifically, for lack of specific "good" pairing i nibbled alpine cheddar cheese *very sharp" and spicy Wegmans pepperoni slices, they both complimented the wine, taking nothing from the chees or meat and the wine was still really smooth. The bottle mentions "spice" from carignane (26%) i suspect in time that will come out more, its not there now to me but I suspect when it shows up it will just add to this flavor profile.

I am now going to post SORRY SO GOSH darn late, read the notes and order at lease 6 depending on price (of wait I have another part time job to go to tonight maybe I'll order more - my poor cellar is over crowded. Thank you for this opportunity. I will answer any questions I can but the simple one - this is really good juice and I bet it improves. ~Andie

Dare2Divvy,D-UpWineGirl,TerryWCC,karenhynes

Andie

• Thank you for taking time out to PrevView this wine. And for all the great details. Cheers!

• RaguFremontRaguFremont 2 Points
    edited July 2021

I am happy to share my review of this wine to fellow Divvy-Uppers. While I don’t consider myself a professional, I do enjoy good wines and have expanded my learning over time. To start with, I was intrigued by the concept of zero-manipulation. I was also curious on what that would do to aging process and how that would result in the final product. I liked the design of the label and paid special attention to the contents. I opened the bottle in my backyard.

The color has shades of ruby red with purple tinge. The first takeaway was it was medium bodied.

The aroma had tinges of strawberry and subtle hints of red berries. I also sensed the spices and a very subtle smokiness which provided its own uniqueness. There were some hints of vanilla.

The initial tasting mirrored the sensory perception and the description on the label. I experienced the subtle nuances of the strawberry flavor and also the spices. None of them were overpowering.

The acidity and tannin’s were blended just right to bring out the medium bodied texture, color and flavors. 

I tried the wine again after letting it sit in the decanter and appreciated the nuances even more the second time around.

Overall I was positively impressed and felt the effort put it by the father and son team to bring this wine to market with special attention to details and more so the zero-manipulation, contributed to the uniqueness and final product. 

Dare2Divvy,karenhynes
  • Divvy-UpDivvy-Up 80 Points

Anyone up to split in SF?

The reviews are good and I could use a couple bottles to change things up. Happy to meet you for wine drop off anywhere north of Noe/Mission districts.

Join the Divvy-Up: https://divvy-up.com/2015-peterson-gcm-blend-bradford-mountain-vineyard-dry-creek-valley?group=718f4972-0b59-9e7a-6ac2-ff7cf68e23d6